Hurricane Storm Readiness
As Hurricane season soon approaches, it can pose a serious threat to both your life and property. These natural disasters can produce wind gusts ranging from 50 to 100 miles per hour or more. Thus causing power outages, down trees and power lines which can cause fires. A storm with that much power can cause catastrophic damage and severe flooding. Not only can flooding occur naturally but from an overwhelmed sump pump, sewer/septic overflow and high water table. Damages can be mild or severe. Weather can be unpredictable, so be prepared for the unpredictable. Thus, why it’s vital to have a hurricane safety plan in place for your home or business. Here’s some things you need to know about hurricane readiness. Below are safety tips for before and after a hurricane.
- Battery operated flashlights, lanterns and candles and a lighter
- Portable battery operated radio and extra batteries for all
- First Aid Kit
- Non perishable food items and water
- Non-electric can opener
- Essential medicines
- Natural gas: If you smell gas or hear a hissing or blowing sound, ventilate the area and leave immediately. Turn off the main gas valve from the outside, if you can. Do not smoke or use oil, gas lanterns, candles or torches for lighting inside a damaged facility until you are sure there is no leaking gas or other flammable materials present.
- Sparks, broken or frayed wires: Check the electrical system unless you are wet standing in water or unsure of your safety. If possible, turn off the electricity at the main fuse box or circuit breaker.
- Appliances: If appliances are wet, turn off the electricity at the main fuse box or circuit breaker. Unplug appliances and let them dry out. Water and sewage systems: If pipes are damaged, turn off the main water valve. Check with local authorities before using any water as the water could be contaminated.. Do not flush toilets until you know that sewage lines are intact.
- Have appliances, natural gas, plumbing and electrical checked by a service professional before using them again.
Although we never want a disaster to occur, We can weather the storm together! Call SERVPRO of Fall River, we are Here to Help!