Black Mold: What are the warning signs?
We recently learned that the term “black mold” is the most commonly searched phrase on Google to lead people to the SERVPRO of Fall River website. In honor of these findings, we’ve created this blog posting to teach you everything you need to know about Black Mold. Happy Reading!
What is Black Mold?
Black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is a toxic mold that grows in warm, damp and dark areas. Black mold begins to form after water or moisture has seeped into this warm, dark environment and goes left untreated. This process can happen anywhere, but the most common area for mold growth to happen is in the basement.
How can I tell if there’s Black Mold in my home?
If you’re concerned that black mold may be growing in your home or business, it is recommended that you contact SERVPRO of Fall River to examine the affected area. Below you’ll find ways to determine if contacting a professional is necessary.
Mold has an unmistakably musty odor to it. If you’re smelling must or mildew in your home, you’ve most likely got a mold problem. When determining where the problem is located, it is important to check all areas of a room thoroughly, including A/C units and furniture. It is also important to note that mold does not always grow on an objects surface – it could be lurking behind drywall, tile, or even in your HVAC system.
Black mold usually appears greenish-black in color, and features a slimy texture (see right) but may also appear gray, orange, brown or furry. It can appear flat against a surface, or bumpy and rigid.
Touching mold can spread spores to other parts of your home or business, making the containment process difficult and time consuming. It isn’t recommended you touch black mold, or any type of mold for that matter, due to health concerns and containment issues.